I must take a time out to tell you about a couple of things.
First of all, I am getting blog savvy! Hooray! If you want to keep up with me more easily, you can subscribe to my blog via email or RSS (which I don't completely understand) to the right.
Secondly, I never dreamed I would have international readers (I'm talking to YOU, Poland!), and I want to give a shout out to Canada, South Korea, Denmark, Slovenia, Germany, China, the United Kingdom, Ecuador...and Poland, my international champion.
Lastly, just when I was ready to buy a one-way ticket to the land of Wegmans, malls, and snow shoveling, a friend posted this incredible article on Facebook. I'll list the highlights below:
41. We get the inside jokes. Because, actually, we made them up in the first place.
40. That horrified look on our parents' friends' faces when we tell them we live in "Hell's Kitchen."
39. Sure, we work out next to Alec Baldwin, Padma Lakshmi, and Bridget Moynahan, and walk the streets with Willem Dafoe, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Tina Fey, but, really, we're kinda too busy with our own lives to notice.
38. Drinking is like breathing. Or slightly more acceptable.
26. Smart people are the norm, not the exception. (Which doesn't mean they're sane, but at least no one's boring.)
25. Except in select 'hoods like Park Slope and perhaps the Upper West Side, children are viewed as mysterious beings, rarely sighted and only occasionally understood, like pixies or magical small butlers. Until they scream, in which case, they are banished from the palace.
11. Complain about the MTA, but you can get anywhere in the city for just $2.25. Or $2.50 single ride, come 2011. Still pretty damn cheap.
7. Subway "prewalking," in which you walk to the exact right spot on the platform to board the train car that will save you the most time upon exit, exists and has a name. Gotta respect.
5. We are, as a group, anti-fanny-pack as much as we are pro-gay-marriage. Hetero marriage, on the other hand, we can pretty much take or leave.
4. 35 is the new 26. Or is it 45? Whatever, age ain't nuthin' but a number, and as long as you're younger than your IQ score, no harm, no foul.
1. If you can make it here, you really can make it anywhere. But why would you bother to go anywhere else?
Ahhh...I really needed that! I plan to commit this list to memory and use it as my mantra during that magical time of year when city sidewalks are dressed in holiday style, tourists run rampant, and I am forced to elbow small children out of my way in order to cross the street. I love you, New York!